Stencils are an easy way to spruce up a blank space on any surface. They offer crisp lines and there are so many different stencils to choose from. Today we chose to stencil a cushion cover with a beautiful ‘Paris’ stencil using the Blake & Taylor Chalk Furniture Paint.
- Linen Cushion Cover
- 25mm Round Blake & Taylor Synthetic Paintbrush
- Blake & Taylor Chalk Furniture Paint (I used colour Ink Navy)
- Removable Spray Bond
- Good Quality Stencil
1. Lay the cushion cover out flat ready for your stencil. It is important to work on a flat surface. Spray the back of the stencil with the removable spray bond. This will allow you to place the stencil on your fabric without leaving a glue residue.
2. Place your stencil on your cushion cover and press down firmly. You may want to also tape around the edges with masking tape just to make it more secure.
3. I have decided to place my stencil roughly in the middle of my cushion cover.
4. Dip your paintbrush into your Blake & Taylor Chalk Furniture Paint and wipe the excess off. It is important not to load your paint brush with too much paint as the stencil edges will start to bleed and your final image will be blurred. You may even want to dab a little paint off on to a rag first. It is always best to work with thin layers of paint and build up. If you are unsure do a test first on a scrap piece of fabric.
5. I find it best to use a dabbing or ‘stippling’ motion to build up your colour gently.
6. Once you have finished painting, carefully lift and peel off the stencil and hang the cover out or lie flat to dry.
The Finished Cushion
Would you like to give this project a try? I would love to give you a special 10% off your first Blake & Taylor Chalk Furniture Paint purchase, (does not include shipping). Simply use the code “lovepaint” at checkout on our online store, blakeandtaylor.com.au
This discount offer is not available in store, only online.